Suitable to use in finished products with a pH up to 12.
- Dispersible in emulsions
- Soluble in ethyl alcohol
- 2% soluble in water
Up to 1%
- Non-formaldehyde-releasing preservative
- suitable for a wide pH range
- Offers good head-space protection
- Suitable for leave-on and rinse-off products
- Stable to hydrolysis so can be used in high temperature mixtures up to 80C
- Globally Approved
- Broad Spectrum Action - Bacteria, Yeast and Mould.
Caution: Phenoxyethanol is a slow acting preservative and can take up to 48 hours to become fully effective in a formula. During that time a high-risk formulation may have enough time to overwhelm the product rendering the phenoxyethanol useless. High risk formulations are those that have a high water content and that may or may not also contain colours, herbal extracts, biological material (peptides, milk etc), exfoliant particles, clays and muds.
In high risk formulations we recommend blending the phenoxyethanol with a second, faster-acting preservative such as Piroctone Olamine, Glyceryl Caprylate, Sodium Hydroxymethylglycinate, Potassium Sorbate and Sorbic Acid or an alternative. In terms of what would make the optimal blend, the only way to answer that is with testing. All we can offer is the information on maximum and typical use rates, pH stability and solubility.